Implementation Plan Template
You can use this Implementation Plan template (29 pages MS Word) to describe how to deploy, install and transition an IT system. When writing the Implementation Plan provide a high-level overview, describe major tasks, and resources, such as hardware, software, facilities, materials, and personnel.
Implementation Plan Template: How It Works
In general this plan is developed during the Design Phase of the Software Development LifeCycle and updated during the Development Phase.
Use this Implementation Plan to define:
- Goals – identify the high-level goals for this project and critical success factors.
- Security – identify security requirements which must be addressed before and after the implementation.
- Roles & Responsibilities – outline the key individuals involved in different phases of this activity. The more detail you provide here, the less misunderstandings or assumptions will arise when the project starts.
- Tasks – describe the different tasks which must be accomplished to implement the new system.
- Schedule – describe the schedule and/or sequence in which tasks which must be performed.
- Resources – identify the software, hardware, equipment and other resources you need to perform these tasks. This will help the Project Manager estimate the cost of the project.
- Requirements by Site – describe the different requirements for each site. In large projects, you may need to identify different tasks for different sites and schedule these accordingly.
Implementation Plan Template: Screenshots
Here are some screenshots of sample pages from the Implementation Plan template.
Cover Page (note: you can delete the logo)
Table of Contents
Implementation Plan Introduction with sample text
Implementation Plan Overview
Implementation Plan – Management Structure
Implementation Plan Requirements
Implementation Plan Approval Form
Implementation Plan Table of Contents
1.4 Intended Audience
1.7 Known Issues
1.9 Implementation Plan Coordination
1.10 Document Distribution
2 Implementation Overview
2.1 System Overview
2.1.1 System Description
2.1.2 System Organization
2.2 System Authorization
2.4 Points of Contact
3 Management Structure
3.1 Organization Chart
3.2 Roles & Responsibilities
3.3.1 Personnel Requirements and Staffing
4 Implementation Tasks
4.1.1 Contractor Activities
5 Implementation Schedule
6 Implementation Resources
6.1 Hardware, Software, Facilities, and Materials
6.1.2 Data Requirements
6.1.3 Facilities Requirements
6.1.4 Software Requirements
6.1.6 Training of Implementation Staff
6.2 Performance Monitoring
6.3 Configuration Management Interface
7 Implementation Requirements By Site
7.2 Site [Name for Site X]
7.2.1 Site Requirements for [Site X]
7.2.2 Site Implementation Details
7.2.3 Go/No Go Decision
7.2.4 Post-Implementation Verification
8 Communications Plan
8.1 Project Documentation
9 Others Considerations
10 Appendix A: Implementation Plan
10 Appendix B: Project References
11 Appendix C: Glossary of Terms
Who Should Use this Implementation Plan?
This Implementation Plan template is designed to help IT Architects, Developers, System Administrators, and Project Manager when implementing a new IT System.
As this template is easy to modify, you can use it when implementing software, hardware, and networks. The layout of this template means that you can adjust it very quickly and use it for your own requirements.