Before you Start Writing Your Standard Operating Procedures
Yesterday we looked at the lifecycle of writing Standard Operating Procedures. We outlined ten different stages in the writing process. What We will discuss today is what needs to be done before you start the actual writing. This includes the prep work necessary before the writing team is assembled and also other issues such as getting budgets, equipment and other resources.
The process of developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) involves ten key stages. The approach we have used here is to assume that you are starting from scratch and want to develop your SOPs in a structured manner, so that you can share your style guide, templates, and naming conventions across the writing or those who will also be involved in the writing process.
What's the first step?
The first thing to do is decide who will write the actual SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
I know this sounds obvious but in many companies there are no dedicated Procedure Writers and the task is often ¡®shared' with other team members. Some of these will be willing to help, others will resist or may not have the time to assist you.
- Before you Start Writing Your Standard Operating Procedures
- How To Find Procedure Writers
- How to Get a Budget
- How To Cost The SOP Project
- How to Get Management Support For Your SOP Project
- How to Find An Executive Champion
- How To Setup the Procedure Writing Team
- How To Define Roles in the Procedure Writing Team
- How to Create SOP Writing Guidelines
- How to Organize the Information Gathering Phase
- How to Test the Current As Is Business Process
- How to Examine Alternatives To The Current As Is Process
- How to Write Standard Operating Procedures
- How to Write Your First Procedure
- How to Number Each Step in the Procedure
- How To Capture Exceptions in Procedures
- How to Use If Then Tables For Complex Procedures
- How to Test Standard Operating Procedures
- How to Get SMEs to Test Procedures
- How & When to Sign Off the Procedure
- How to Publish the Standard Operating Procedures
- How to Control Documents
- How to Use Track Changes
- How to Use Naming Conventions
- How to Convert SOPs to PDF
- How to Upload SOPs to the Document Management System
- How to Create a SOP Document Archive
- How to Backup SOPs Archives & Store Offsite
- How to Implement Procedures
- How to Schedule Assessments