Use this checklist to write your User Guide. The checklist will help reviewers determine if the specifications meet the quality criteria and comply with development methodology requirements.
- System Overview – introduce the system at a high-level and its relationship to others, if necessary.
- References – list reference materials used in preparation of this document.
- Use Permission – provide warnings regarding unauthorized usage of the system and making unauthorized copies of data, software, reports, and documents, if applicable.
- Points of Contact – identify the contacts that may be needed for informational and troubleshooting purposes.
- Coordination – list any organizations or groups that require coordination between the project and its support function. Include a schedule for coordination activities.
- Help Desk – provide email and phone numbers for emergency assistance
- Organization of the User Guide – outline the major sections of the User Guide with a brief description of each section.
- Acronyms and Abbreviations – list and describe the acronyms and abbreviations used in this document.
- System Configuration – describe and depict graphically the equipment, communications, and networks used by the system.
- Data Flows – describe or depict graphically, the overall flow of data in the system.
- User Access Levels – describe the different users and/or user groups and the restrictions placed on system accessibility or use for each.
- Contingencies – describe the continuity of operations in the event of emergency, disaster, or accident. Explain what the effect of degraded performance will have on the user.
- Logging On – describe the procedures to access the system.
- System Menu – identify each system function under a separate header. Generate new subsections as necessary for each system function.
- Provide a system function name and identifier here for reference in the remainder of the subsection.
- Describe the menu items.
- Log off and Exit System – describe the procedure to exit the system.
If relevant, describe each system function under a separate header.
- Provide a system function name and identifier for reference in the remainder of the subsection
- Describe the function with accompanying screenshots
- Generate new subsections as necessary for each system sub-function
- Describe all recovery and error correction procedures
- Describe error conditions and corrective actions
- Describe special actions the user must take to insure data is saved or procedures are executed properly
Input Procedures and Expected Output
Describing inputs procedures and expected outputs.
- Describe ad hoc query capabilities provided by the system. Include query name or code the user would invoke to execute the query.
- Develop detailed descriptions of the procedures necessary for file query including the parameters of the query and the sequenced control instructions to extract query requests from the database.
- Describe all reports available to the end user. If user is creating ad hoc reports with special formats, please describe here.
- Provide instructions for executing and printing the different reports available.